In this short video we will discuss the protocol for determining which size tourniquet to use and our recommendations for occlusion locations.
The first step in determining which size HemaClear® to use is to decide on desired occlusion location. The following occlusion locations are our recommendations for HemaClear® placement.
- For procedures where upper arm occlusion is desired, place HemaClear® proximally to the bicept.
- For procedures where occlusion on the forearm is desired, place HemaClear® approximately 10 cm from the wrist. Use caution not to place HemaClear® on the ulnar nerve.
- For procedures where occlusion on the proximal thigh is desired, place HemaClear® as high as possible on the thigh. It is imperative to place HemaClear® as high on the thigh as possible to ensure that themoral flow is captured.
- If you wish to place HemaClear® below the knee, we recommend an occlusion location of approximately 15 cm above the ankle.
Once your desired occlusion location has been determined, simply grab a HemaClear® Measuring Tape. HemaClear® Measuring Tapes can be found in the center of the HemaClear® boxes. Our Measuring Tape can be utilized as sterile measuring tapes or be used unsterile.
To properly measure your patient, place the start of the HemaClear® Measuring Tape on the patient. Simply measure circumferentially around your patient. The HemaClear® Measuring Tape is color coordinated to simplify the choice of the proper tourniquet. As you can see, this patient measures 58 cm, which is a HemaClear® Model Black & White. Select the corresponding colored HemaClear®. You are now ready for the procedure.
Occasionally, a patient will measure between two HemaClear® sizes. If this occurs, simply opt for the larger size. In this case, a Yellow HemaClear® would be chosen.
How to Use the HemaClear® Pressure Tables
- Identify the HemaClear® Model to be used (e.g. Extra-Large – Black & White).
- Choose the Table section that matches the Model chosen.
- Measure the distance between the tips of the fingers/toes and the occlusion location.
- Find the column corresponding with the distance.
- Measure the limb circumference at the occlusion location.
- Find the row corresponding with the limb circumference.
The HemaClear® Measuring-Tape is used in conjunction with the HemaClear® Selection Guide and HemaClear® Pressure Charts while applying the device.
It accompanies all HemaClear® products. It is printed on both sides to be used with the full HemaClear® Product Line.